I have loved the warm, sunny days lately. I think they are finally here to stay! Along with warmer weather come more opportunities to get outside. Free or low-cost outdoor fitness classes begin to pop up; in fact, there are a few scheduled to start in the upcoming weeks that I am interested in. These classes are a great, inexpensive way to get in fitness activity while enjoying the outdoors. Also, there is always the option of walking, hiking, biking or running outdoors all year round, but late spring/summer allow for more variety! I wanted to share the fun activities I found. Who knows, you may see me there!
1. Yoga in the Park: On certain Saturdays through the summer the Metro Parks offer yoga in the park. It is exactly as it sounds: yoga classes in the park. These are located at RiverScape Metro Park and are free! No registration is required. What a fun way to spend a Saturday morning.
2. Zumba in the Park: Also put on by the Metro Parks, Zumba in the park is a great way to get your Zumba on without paying drop-in fees at a local gym. These are also located at RiverScape Metro Park and are free.
3. Bootcamp: Every Saturday through August a free bootcamp class will be offered at Delco Park in Kettering. The class will help participants get toned and lose weight and is geared for people of all fitness levels.
4. Orange Nights: Zumbathon dance party. How fun! It is $10 to register and will be held at Austin Landing. The proceeds support the YWCA Dayton’s shelter, housing and youth service programs.
5. New Balance Yoga: This is a free yoga class at the New Balance store in Kettering. The event is put on by MVP Dance Fit (which is an awesome place that you should check out) and will have door prizes and special discounts on certain items in the store. Make sure to bring a yoga mat!
6. Guided Hikes: Caesars Creek State Park is offering free guided hikes through August. Learn about history and wildlife while getting a good workout in.
7. Trailing Moms and Tots: This event will be held at Charleston Falls Preserve and is specifically designed for moms and their kids ages 0-5 as well as soon-to-be moms. Kids can play, socialize and exercise with one another. Best of all, it’s free!
As you can see zumba and yoga are by far the most popular of the free outdoor classes. Most local parks have a program so make sure to check the park nearest you! Did I miss your favorite summer event? Let me know at Val@rivervalleycu.org. I hope to see you out this summer! For similar blog posts visit https://www.rivervalleycu.org/val.